Partners/who is currently supporting us?
Netherlands organisation for Scienfic Research (NWO); this is providing some funding for product improvemnt research and scale-up under our macro-nutrient fortification project
- School of Nutrition and Bioengineering, Makerere University, Kampala Uganda. Under the Food and Business Incubation Center (IFTBC) program, they are providing technical support in processing and product developement
- University of Wageningen (WU), The Netherlands; Supporting us in our macro-nutritinet fortification project. They are our Dutch partners under the NWO project
- Food and Nutrition Soloutions ltd; Supporting us in our macro-nutritinet fortification project. they are our Ugandan partners under the NWO project
- Danex Limited; these have been providing technical support in cereals value chain
- BESO Foundation; these are our partners in community initiatives
- Macro-Nutrient Fortiﬁcation of first-line food cereals with milk protein to produce affordable value added cereal products in Uganda/East Africa
VAI has been undertaking a flour fortification study using milk protein to increase the macronutrient value of the three dominating cereal flours (millet, maize, and rice). This initiative is intended to produce affordable value-added flours for children and women, especially pregnant women and the general population. Our partners in the project are Wageningen University, Netherlands and Food and Nutrition Solutions, Makerere University Kampala. This project has recently received a grant from the Dutch Government through the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). Some of our current products include:
- AFRI-TASTE MAIZE+MILK: Porridge flour; Afri taste porridge flour is processed from milk and maize. It is a very important source of proteins, calcium, energy, and other key nutrients recommended for children and adults. It is the best blend of porridge based on maize.
- AFRI-TASTE MILK+MILLET; Porridge flour; Afri taste porridge flour is processed from milk and millet. It is a very important source of energy, proteins, calcium, Iron, B-group vitamins, fibre, and other key nutrients recommended for adults and children. It has special benefits for pregnant and lactating mothers. It is the best blend of porridge based on millet.
- AFRI-TASTE RICE+MILK; Afri taste porridge flour is processed from milk and rice. It is a very important source of energy, proteins, Calcium, and other key nutrients recommended for children and adults. It is the best blend of porridge based on rice.
- Cereal (millet and maize) Value Chain improvement Conscious of the fact that there is much less effort in the maize and millet value chains and Ugandan Millet and Maize are generally not of good quality due to poor farming methods and poor post-harvest handling, VAI is engaged in partnerships to improve farming practices and post-harvest handling for the two cereals. Our current efforts include:
- Training and sensitizing farmers on improved varieties
- Undertaking extended-extensions with farmers to improve agronomic practices
- Sensitizing farmers and traders on cereal standards